Friday, September 19, 2014

I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut...

You guys! I have been canning, and freezing, and dehydrating, and jamming like crazy around here! I can't help but feel like a little squirrel hoarding all the nuts I can find to store them for winter time.

But seriously, this time of year is so fun when it's time to harvest all the wonderful fresh goodness that comes from planting a garden in your very own backyard. It can be super busy and super messy especially when you've got little ones that you still have to take care of.

I often get so caught up in what I'm doing in my kitchen and then look up at the clock and realize I should have fed my kids lunch an hour ago! Whoops!

Anyways, I try to balance jam sessions with play sessions with my kids and I love that they are always so curious as to what I am making. They are also very helpful when it comes to harvesting anything from the garden. Those tiny hands are always so anxious to pick ripe fruit and vegetables...even if they don't care to eat it later.

We planted a lot this year. Okay here it goes...lettuce, kale, arugula, rosemary, basil, cilantro, parsley, mint, dill, bell peppers, carrots, tomatoes, tomatillos, hot peppers, cucumbers, watermelon, beets, broccoli, cauliflower, beans, peas, cabbage, grapes, plums...I'm sure I forgot something.

But the real reason for this post is to share a few pics from the garden, because it's been fun and I think fresh vegetables are so beautiful. I hope you enjoy! And yes, I will be sharing some of my favorite recipes that I made which incorporated goodness from the garden.





What did you grow in your garden this year? I want to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment