Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Grass Is Greener


She knocked on my door Monday morning. In her hand was the coveted sprinkler head that I had been eagerly waiting to inherit after her sprinkler system was installed. Her lawn always looked so green and it had to be because of this sprinkler head. I borrowed it a couple of times and knew I wanted it. We chatted for a while about the weekend, the weather, and the week ahead of us. There was a pause...and then the news I have been dreading for quite some time now. The news that was only 90% sure going to happen. I had held on so tightly to the other 10% hoping maybe, just maybe, it wouldn't happen. But it is. My neighbor, my dearest friend is moving.

The news did not come as complete shock since we had discussed it many times. Though we usually kept it brief because if we discussed it too much we would get emotional. It took a couple of minutes while we stood on the porch for the news to really set in. Finally, the tears could not be held back any longer. We embraced each other in a long hug and could no longer deny the fact that this was really happening. Even more, we could not deny the fact that everything had been falling into place for the past year or more for this to happen. Things happen for a reason.

Right now it is painful to think that in less than 6 weeks she will not be living in that cute brick house with the blue door. What if I need some lime juice for my dinner recipe? What if I'm having a bad day and need a friend to talk to? However, I am filled with joy when I think about all the memories I have with this dear friend. It was her husband that was the very first person to greet us when we moved into the neighborhood. It was her kitchen where we spent countless hours canning peaches, spaghetti sauce, apple butter, and apple pie filling. She is my friend for a reason. I was there when she needed me and she was there when I needed her.

We cannot experience joy without pain. I am so grateful to have been neighbors and best friends with this person that has brought me so much joy to my life. She lifted my spirits. She inspired me to be a better mom, wife, and person. We have laughed together, and cried together. Like, that coveted sprinkler head that is now making my grass greener she has helped me grow into the person that I am today by watering my soul and spirit with the things I needed most.

No comments:

Post a Comment